Sunday, January 22, 2012

Engagements All Around!

Engagement stories are important. Girls compare stories over tea years after the event actually took place. Well, I have a pretty good story to share. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did…ok, I know you probably won’t enjoy it as much as I did…but hopefully you can enjoy it all the same!

On the Saturday before Andrew was set to deploy, he called around 9:00am and grunted that he would arrive at my house around 11:00 so we could begin an "action adventure." When I got into the car he handed me an envelope with a #1 on it. I opened it and read,

“Oh! Oh! I’m hungry! Let’s get something to eat! We’ll need to drive a car to save our poor feet! What could be a place to solve this problem in our head? How about a factory that makes delicious white flat bread?”

Well, the Tortilla Factory was my guess. This restaurant is the Japanese version of Chipotle and is quite tasty. I was right and we got to enjoy yummy Japanese-style-Mexican burritos. After lunch I got envelope #2, which said,

“Do you feel satisfied? I do, almost without a doubt. But I feel that something’s missing, something that we’re without. What will solve this problem that is decidedly crummy? How about a party that offers something cool, tasty, and yummy?”

Partyland Yogurt was the first thing I thought of. It is a build your own frozen yogurt cup joint and is quite yummy. We enjoyed some tasty yogurt in a cup. After yogurt I was handed envelope #3:

“Ah! Delicious yogurt! There’s nothing like it in the world! Especially when there’s two wonderful flavors in a swirl! Where shall be our next stop? What location shall we grace? shouldn’t we drive to your favorite rocky-sandy-type place?"

I confess I struggled with this clue. We often go sit on the beach, but I wasn’t sure which beach was the special beach. After some additional clues I knew it was Toguchi Beach. This beach is known for its huge rocks making arches above private beaches. When we got there, much of the beach was fenced off. I guess the Japanese government decided to resurface the paths around
the beach on this particular Saturday. It didn’t deter Andrew any and he hopped over the fence. Me, being a complete rule-keeper, just about had a fit. He insisted I come with him. So, we snuck around the cement trucks and the heavy equipment and Japanese construction workers. I was trying not to make eye contact. We got to our favorite place under an arch of rocks and gazed at the ocean for a minute before he handed me envelope #4:

“You picked the right spot! One out of many! It’s frugal! We did not spend a penny! Only one more stop after this one whoopee! But wait! Turn around Quickly!....because there’s a Man on one knee!!!”

I turned around and there he was on one knee telling me sweet things and asking me to join him on life’s journey. Then it was silent…oh yeah, a question usually needs an answer. Of course I said YES! The last location for our special day was to the jewelry store where we had picked out a wedding set awhile back. We spent the next hour sipping tea and making a large purchase! What a very special day. I look forward to our future together and I know that life with the two of us and the Lord, will be full of wild adventure!

2 comments:

  1. Yay! so excited for you! let me know if you want any of my helpful wedding planning documents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh! Good story! And it sounds like your area has so many great places to eat!

    ReplyDelete